Thomas Jefferson High School
Bodyworks Course Description
Teacher: Mrs. Nicolo
Email: Brittany_Nicolo@dpsk12.org Phone: 720-423-7025
Course Objective:To participate at a competent level in a variety of physical activities
Textbook:Foundations of Personal Fitness
Materials Needed: Google Classroom Account, Remind App and daily uniform
Topics to be covered:
- Proper Warm-up exercises 6. Yoga
- Health and Skill-Related Fitness Components 7. Nutrition
- Aerobic Activities 8. Stress Management
- Weight Training/Plyometrics 9. Socio and Emotional Maintenance
- Muscle Groups: Exercises and Functions 10. Heart Rate Zones
Assignments:Journaling, Activity Log, Nutrition Log, Google Classroom Assignments, Self, Peer and Community Evaluations, Fitness Worksheets; Developing a Health and Fitness plan.
Tests and Quizzes:Fitness Tests, Skill Assessments, Comprehension Assessments and Final
Make-up Work: Student will receive the number of days EXCUSED absence plus one day to complete assignment or make-up physical work. (Teacher designated physical activity)
Late Work: ANY homework that is turned in late (based on designated time or day) will receive ½ credit. Any day after that will result in an automatic zero. Make-ups for Google Classroom will have to be completed during office hours for ½ credit (student will need to physically attend office hours).
Grading System: Total points based on active participation, proper dress, attendance, tardiness, tests (both written and skilled.), SPARTAN values, preparedness for class
Daily Point System: 10 points possible each day
- Present: 1 point
- On Assigned Number: 1 point
- TJHS Identification Card: 1 point
- In Full TJ PE Uniform: 2 points
- Participation in Activities: 4 points
- S.P.A.R.T.A.N. Values: 1 point
Special Rules: No food or gum allowed in the dance studio or locker room, NO CELL PHONES or ipods (unless otherwise instructed), proper behavior and attitude expected, lock up all clothing and valuables, follow TJHS Core Values.
Dress:Required daily P.E. Shirt/Gray shirt/TJ shirt/black shirt WITH solid black shorts (small stripes okay)/solid color sweats (small stripes okay), logo smaller than palm of hand AND athletic shoes (shoes with laces). Shorts must be longer than mid-thigh; all girls must wear a bra during class.
For your signature of acknowledgement:
Students: please sign into Google Classroom & the Remind app using the student code. Parents:please sign into the Remind app using the parent code. Complete by August 23rd.
Student Google Classroom Code: 3dqvjey
Student Remind App: TEXT @bwpd2stud to 81010
Parent Remind App: TEXT @bwpd2par to 81010
Thomas Jefferson High School
Physical Education Department
Policies and Procedures 2019-2020
Our emphasis in the Physical Education Department is on physical fitness, an acquisition of skills that will allow recreational participation in a variety of activities and sports and stressing competition with self rather than with others. It is our intent to help our students understand the benefits of an active, healthy lifestyle. The following policies, procedures and expectations have been set to optimize your student’s experience in Physical Education.
Attendance:Follow school absence policy (see Student Handbook). Regular attendance is vital to a student’s educational development; therefore, attendance and daily participation are an integral part of his or her grade.
Tardy:School wide tardy policy. Be in the gym, on yourassigned number, when the tardy bell rings. After attendance you will have 5 minutes to change into your P.E. uniform and report to activity.
Dressing: You will be expected to dress out in your P.E. clothes EVERYDAY.
P.E. Uniform Start:
Shirt: TJHS PE T-Shirt, TJHS T-Shirt, PLAIN Gray Shirt or a black shirt
Bottoms: TJHS PE Shorts, ALL Black shorts or solid color sweatpants
Shoes: Laced Tennis Shoes
- TJ Gray P.E. Department T-Shirt: S-L: $8 XXL:$10 XXXL:$11; TJ Black Mesh Shorts: $12. XXL :$14 XXXL: $15
- You will be assigned a locker in the locker room to put your lock on. You may not share a lock or locker with another student. Everyone MUST PURCHASE A TJ SCHOOL LOCK & MUST HAVE A PE LOCKER. Backpacks AND Cell phonesmust be put in locker room.No exceptions, unless specified by teacher.
- Swimming Classes: Towel, trunks for the boys, and one-piece bathing suit/tankini for the girls. A TJ Lock must also be purchased
- Females must wear the appropriate undergarment attire when in Physical Education class.
- ***If you have problems meeting these requirements please contact your teacher.
Participation: Take an active part in whatever activity that is planned for the day. You must dress, participate and complete assignments to receive a grade.
Graduation Requirement: Two semesters of Physical Education credit.
NO DRESS POLICY for 3 Week Periods
- 1st Incorrect uniform will be given a loaner uniform for the class period
- 2ndIncorrect uniform will be given a loaner uniform + reduction in daily grade
- 3th Incorrect uniform will be sent to the Passroom with written work for the class period and will be completed
- 4thIncorrect uniform will be sent to counselor to potentially drop class.
**If a student refuses to change into a loaner uniform, they will be directly sent to the Passroom followed by dropping the class if an additional infraction occurs. ** **The borrowing of loaners reset every 3 weeks**
Education is a partnership between parent(s), student and teacher. Part of the parents’ responsibility is to ensure that the student has a uniform, attends class regularly, and that the school has correct current phone number and emergency contact. The students’ responsibility is to attend class regularly, dress out, actively participate in class, show respect for other students, the staff and respect the school and school property.
Medical Excuse: A medical excuse must be obtained by a doctor or the school nurse BEFORE reporting to class. It should state the nature of the injury or illness and the length of time the student may not participate. By nature, participation in Physical Education activities includes a risk of injury, which may range in severity. Although serious injuries are not common in supervised school Physical Education programs, it is impossible to eliminate this risk. Participants can, and have, the responsibility to help reduce the possibility of risk. Participants must obey all safety rules, report all physical problems to the teacher, follow a proper conditioning program and respect their own equipment. If your son/daughter has a physical condition or disability, which may affect his/her class performance, please contact the schools nurse in writing or by telephone (720) 423-7000.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your instructor.